One woman's 4000 mile solo bicycle tour across the country from Yorktown, VA to Seattle, WA via the Transamerica and Northern Tier bike routes

***disclaimer: I am riding my bicycle. If I think about grammar, spellings, run-on sentences etc... I will never write this blog. Forgive me in advance....***

Thursday, May 7, 2015

Day 0: travel day and pre-ride to Yorktown (May 5/6)

Day 0:  flight and pre-trip ride   ~ or "if Annie Londonderry could do it, so can I!"
Miles: 37
Accomodation: Red Barn Cycles and Riverview House (Grace Episcopal Church)
Random Ear Worm:  Merle Haggard - Mama Tried (picture me riding about 5 miles from Yorktown when all the sudden the chorus pops into my head with GUSTO.. "I turned twenty-one in prison doing live without parole/ No one could steer me right but Mama tried, MAMA TRIED!......"


ODE TO ANNIE LONDONDERRY
Oh Annie Londonderry
You who bravely hopped on that bike and cycled
around the world
May you be with me as I peddle
peddle peddle on this adventure

As I hopped on my bike for the first time fully loaded, wobbling around like a kid first taking off their training wheels, except without the parent running after shouting encouragement.. Wait I take that back, I actually did have Robert, my riding buddy for most day and incredible first trail angel of the trip (but more of that later)... So as I was taking off, the adrenaline, excitement, fear, nervousness and more pumping through my body, I thought about Annie Londonderry, a jewish mother from Boston  who in 1895 took on a wager that required her to ride around the world in 15 months AND earn $5,000 while doing it.  And she did, becoming the first woman to do so.  Read more about her incredible journey here:
http://www.skalatitude.com/2011/01/annie-londonderrya-flash-from-way-past.html


So here's to you ..................  As I take off on this adventure of my own.  Thanks for braving the way!

THE BREAKDOWN:
I'm sitting in bed here at the Riverfront House in Yorktown, VA.  Tomorrow morning is my official start of the ride.  But even though I haven't officially started this Transamerica ride, I have already experienced so much.  People write about 'trail angels' people who go out of their way to help you, feed you, house you etc.. etc.. And already, just a day after landing in Virginia, I have been blown away by the generosity I have received.


Rewind to yesterday.  After a long day of traveling from Seattle, WA to Richmond, VA (yes in just a few hours I crossed the country.  I will take three months to return), I was picked up at the airport by Robert, who owns Red Barn Bicycles, where I sent my bike to get set up.  I get in the car and what is coming out of the stereo but a CD full of pre-wagon wheel bootleg recordings of Old Crow Medicine Show.   'This is a good sign,' I thought.  And it was.  Robert took me to an outdoor shop to get fuel cannisters and him and his wife Sharon took out to eat at this amazing BBQ place.  Red Barn Cycles is located right behind their house, so we spent the evening listening to awesome old-timey music and bikes.  They then proceeded to offer me a the spare bedroom and a delicious egg/bacon/hashbrown breakfast with eggs from their chickens.

As if that wasn't enough, Robert then rode 25 miles with me to Williamsburg, taking me through backroads with less traffic which proved to be essential for getting used to my bike fully loaded.  And when I say fully loaded I mean FULLY LOADED...... I HAVE WAY TO MUCH STUFF.  Somehow I have got to get this thing lighter before the Appalachians hit....  But oh if you could have seen me when I hopped on my bike.  I kind of felt like I was a five year old learning to ride again.  Wobbling around and feeling completely hesitant.  For the skiers reading this, picture the adults taking lessons on the bunny hill.......

But fortunately I had Robert leading the way and within 15 minutes I was feeling good, at least enough to take a hand off the handlebar to scratch my back!   (not to mention saw my first road kill about a minute in and my first bug swallowing at about 10).
And so we rode to Williamsburg, where he sent me on my way to Yorktown.....


William and Mary College - in front of the oldest building at the oldest college in America

These two are the REAL DEAL.  I can't say enough about their generosity and kindness they offered me as I transition into this ride.  I will forever have good feelings associated with the first overnight before this trip.  AND I do believe they may have helped reclaim some love for Old Crow Medicine Show since I have avoided them at all cost ever since Wagon Wheel went ballistic. 

And now here I am at the Riverview House, owned by the Grace Episcopal Church.  Another completely incredible offer by a community who truly are living the core of Christianity - generosity, kindness, love, and helping others.  I am here in this beautiful old home that overlooks the York River as it becomes the Chesapeake Bay, with the sound of seagulls, sunbathers, sometimes drummers and piccolo players as they practice for their colonial reinactments of some sort....

What a place!  I have never been anywhere with Revolutionary War history and now I am at the heart of the first England settlements here but also where the British army surrendered to George Washington.  And I get to cook in a kitchen, take a shower, relax in a backyard, because this generous church community goes out of their way to make sure touring cyclists have a great place to start or end this cross country ride.

 

So tomorrow I set off.. officially.........

The church even has their own honey bees!



3 comments:

  1. Fortuitous beginning, my dear! Tons of good vibes and warm tailwinds comin' your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy trails! It sounds amazing already and you've just begun. Love the bees part 🐝

    ReplyDelete