One woman's 4000 mile solo bicycle tour across the country from Yorktown, VA to Seattle, WA via the Transamerica and Northern Tier bike routes

***disclaimer: I am riding my bicycle. If I think about grammar, spellings, run-on sentences etc... I will never write this blog. Forgive me in advance....***

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Day 24-27: We're in Illinois!!

Day 24; Sebree, KY to Marion, IL (43 miles)
Day 25:Marion, KY to Robbs, IL (53 miles)
Day 26: Robbs, IL to Carbondale, IL (51 miles)
Day 27: " REST DAY" in Carbondale, IL

We're in ILLINOIS!!!!


Ear worms: 
Bruce Springsteen - Ghost of Tom Joad 
Indigo Girls: Scooter Boys
David Francey - Red Winged Black Bird (this song really just keeps popping up as I see these birds everywhere)

Cycling along on the rolling hills of Western Kentucky, I'm on a rare little flat part, but battling nevertheless with a fierce headwind.  Catherine comes peddling past (as she always does cause she's a monster on the bike... great way to let practice letting go any sort of ego!).  Anyway, she comes peddling past and shouts, "If it's not hills it's headwinds!"  And then as she gets on ahead she turns back and yells, "We're gonna be so freakin' strong!"  Yes, yes we are!!

These last few days have been brought to you proudly by French Open (Rolland Garros) radio, where Coty can tune in every morning and get all sorts of inspiration by listening to top notch tennis players lay it all on the line on the court.  Nothing like listening to a good tennis match to get one motivated to get up all these hills!

wooohoooooo!



In fact, I have had a pretty fun week with this added tennis inspiration.  You see, I have two main cycling shirts that I wear (plus my reserve Griz Tri jersey that I wore in eastern Kentucky to keep pepper spray and rocks handy for those dogs).  Anyway, two main shirts.  One is a hip, blue smartwool T-shirt.  The other is a classy Giro top with a collar.  And these two shirts have been bringing me extra special joy this past week, because they embody the personilty and talents of the two greats: Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer.  Each morning I pick a shirt.  Put on my blue, smartwool Rafa shirt and I become a fierce warrior, battling it out up the hills, going my hardest to conquer each climb.  But if I'm into more of an effortless, sleek and smooth kind of riding day, on goes my collared Federer shirt.  (aaaaaaaaaaaaaah, it was my off day today and I didn't wear my Federer shirt and he LOST...noooooooooooo.)

So yeah, this wardrobe choosing every morning has been bringing me way to much joy in my life.  That and actually listening to the broadcasts on the Rolland Garros app.  I even got a shout out the other day from a tweet I sent them about cycling across the country.  the talked for a bit about my trip and told me to keep tuning in for more motivation to get up the hills!   It made my day so much that I got distracted and had to stop to make sure I hadn't missed my turn on the road! Hey, it's the small things in life that really make a difference out here!

Like the I've taken the most wonderful rest day here in Carbondale, staying with Kathleen and Steve.  Had no idea I had friends here in Carbondale, but that's the beauty of music camp.  There is so much community everywhere!  And what a glorious past day and a half this has been!  I've got to enjoy a wood fired sauna, music, yoga class, kayaking on Cedar Lake, yummy food and even tiramisu dessert (my favorite.)  My bike has been into the shop and is now feeling like a brand new rig.  We're ready to roll!






My great hosts for a rest day: Kathleen and Steve!!


On the ferry crossing the Ohio River from Kentucky


Anyway.... what a fun last few days cycling through Western Kentucky, into Amish territory ( I had no idea there was such a strong Amish community there), and then the biggest excitement of the last few days:....THE FERRY ACROSS THE OHIO!!   Because we are NOW IN ILLINOIS!!!!!!!! MILESTONE!!!!!  It's been so fun cycling with Janice, Catherine, Dana, and McKaylie.  From hiding under carports in unmatched downpours to exploring the gigantic cave in Cave-in-rock to enjoying pancakes to sharing a lodge at a horse ranch, this has been a super fun past few days.  I'm once again breaking up the group with this rest day, but I'll see them on down the line and now it's just another chapter in my book I've got to write!
 
MORE PHOTOS:

Janice and Catherine accidentally match


Movie night at the Marion United Methodist Church
(We watched 'Still Alice')

So happy to get to cross Ohio with friends

like my new bike?


Cave in rock is the real thing!



I guess our bikes are kind of like horses...

Delaney's restaurant - embracing the TransAm cyclists over the years


 Such a great rest day getting to kayak and have a picnic along the lake. 



No comments:

Post a Comment