One woman's 4000 mile solo bicycle tour across the country from Yorktown, VA to Seattle, WA via the Transamerica and Northern Tier bike routes

***disclaimer: I am riding my bicycle. If I think about grammar, spellings, run-on sentences etc... I will never write this blog. Forgive me in advance....***

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Days 40-42: A century sandwiched between two Oases in the grass desert

Day 40: REST DAY AT THE OASIS IN THE GRASS DESERT - NEWTON BIKE SHOP!
Day 41: CENTURY RIDE! Newton, KS to Larned, KS (111 miles)
Day 42: Larned, KS to Bazine, KS (53.8 miles)

Ear worms:
The Eagles - One of These Nights
Alan Jackson - Remember When
Lucinda - Get Right With God (see she's in my head so much I don't even need a last name do I?!)
Madonna - Material Girl


Early morning on my century ride



Well Kansas, so far you've pretty darn amazing.  I left you all back at Newton, and mentioned I was taking a rest day there at the bike shop, but I thought I would devote more of a post to it because the place is so awesome.  Actually, in many ways it reminded me a lot of the Puget Sound Guitar Workshop in the way they have intentionally created this amazing community for touring bicyclists.  How we are given keys to the shop and stay there in the hostel they have in the back, right with all the merchandise and everything.  We are trusted to hold the community and take care of that and because we can feel that trust, we do!

THIS.  New lifelong friends hanging out at the bike shop.  
Dana, McKaylie, Catherine, Janice, me, Ruth, and Tino


Basically I had the best of both worlds.  My first night there I was by myself, got to truly unwind, watch copious amounts of Netflix and sleep till 9 AM.  9 AM!!!!  Completely undisturbed, I'm not going anywhere in the morning sleep.  It was amazing.  And then the next day, the excitement and bustle of the TransAmerica bike racers starting to come in.  The leader, Jesse Carlsson had just crossed into Kansas and heading our way!  Then the whole crew arrived - first Dana and McKaylie, then Janice and Catherine, then Tino and Ruth (who I bonded with as her stuff is all in storage too and she doesn't quite know where she is landing after the ride).  So we all just hung out in this amazing bike shop, truly the center of this extended TransAmerica bicycle community.  Now that I've ridden a couple of days away from it, I find myself missing it a great deal.  Thinking of how I have to go back just to visit them. (And Newton is a pretty cool town!)  Who knew such a great place could exist right in the "middle of nowhere" in the heartland of America.  Goes to show that one can create something pretty special anywhere if you put your mind to it. And people will respond.

So, I give you Newton Bike Shop:

Putting my mark on the Transam wall
p.s. aaaaah! my hair!!!

If you look hard enough you can find mine, Mud and Glamour and Tino and Ruth's notes on the wall

Yum (from South Korea) came in later, heading west to east.. but that didn't stop him from staying up with us to go get donuts!



AND THEN: THE CENTURY.

While I have many goals for this trip, only one might be seen as a little silly.  But I've never done a century ride before (riding 100 miles in one day) and I wanted to make it happen this trip.  Looking at the weather, it was supposed to be cloudy, slight wind from the east, and temperatures in the 70's.  I couldn't ask for a more ideal forecast.  It helped that section of the ride had no services for 60 miles.  It was now or (possibly) never to do this on the trip.  So I set my alarm for 5 AM (after all, we did stay up till well past midnight to get those donuts!) and set out.  I thought about all those transam racers, about Jesse who would be crossing my path that day, and got my "game time" mentality, Pat Summitt on my handlebar bag, always pushing me on.  (By the way if you ever need some serious motivation just Youtube "Pat Summitt motivational speech and click the first one."  Guaranteed to get it done!)

And off I went.  And I had fun doing it!  I love the wide open spaces.  I love being able to see out and see the old windmills and fields of wheat or pastures with cows, the occasional oil well pumping and squeeking in what otherwise is just me and the sounds of crickets and flies.  Speaking of flies... that was a challenge today.  For the last 50 miles, I really could not stop because when I did these nasty biting flies would swarm my legs.  And I really had to go to the bathroom!!  So let's just say I was not about to pull down the trunks with those things flying around!

A welcome sight on a 55 miles stretch of no services 


 Finally I saw a sign for a church 3 1/2 miles up the road and started peddling a little harder.  Saved by a church again.  A man was in doing some painting and I not only got a bathroom stop, I was able to idly eat some food in the comfort of the indoors.


And then, well, it was done!  I had reached Larned.  I completed my century!! I put my mind to it and it was a blast.  It got me thinking about how so many people, when I tell them what I am doing, say "oh I could never do that!"  I just want to tell them, no!  You can do it.  Whatever it is that might seem really hard.  Maybe you don't want to do it, and that's another thing entirely.  But you can do it, or at least go for it and see!  But there is no 'I could never do that.'  (okay maybe I will never hit a tennis ball like Roger Federer etc.. etc.. but you know what I'm trying to say!!)  Okay, done with my little schpeel (sp?) there.

Celebrated my century ride with some classic American t-ball at the park after an amazing
swim in the community swimming pool.  I'm loving these small heartland towns.

But the oasis wasn't done in Newton.  Today I got to ride to another one in the TINY town of Bazine, KS where Elaine and her husband Don have been hosting cyclists for eleven years!  One of the best things about this trip is getting to really experience the places I am riding through by the people who live there.   Like Dan, who at dinner is shoveling food into his mouth faster than I've ever seen, checking the farmer's weather report every two minutes.  55% humidity he shouts!  I've got to get out there!  He's cutting hay and won't be able to finish tonight if it gets much higher.  Out the door he flies.  The life of a farmer!

 I've had this philosophy when traveling abroad, but it is a new concept for me when thinking about my own country.  But it really is the best way to go anywhere.  I've got to meet the most amazing people, and Elaine and Don are in the books.  Even though they are aging, they still give so much to us bicyclists.  I not only was fed a great dinner and breakfast the next morning, but when I arrived she had freshly cut watermelon ready on the table.

Elaine and Dan, my wonderful hosts.  
They Have hosted more than 800 cyclists over the past eleven years

"How did you get involved with hosting cyclists?" I ask Elaine.
"Oh I was just seeing a lot of miserable looking bicyclists riding by and thought I could do something to help." she replies.


The end of open range - limestone fenceposts still line this area from when 
barbed wire came in and people started fencing in their property.  But there was no wood, so they
used limestone instead.  I can't even imagine the labor it took to do this


Yes, I am entering the stretch of long highway with not many services in between.  In fact our Adventure Cycling maps have an addenda with an update on this section that reads: "We are getting reports that services are becoming more scarce along the route.  Be advised to carry a couple days worth of food and water."  Temps are supposed to be in the 100's the next few days - I suspect I will be seeing some beautiful sunrises from the bicycle.




Loving these old windmills

the limestone fenceposts


A tornado shelter!

Lovin these mailboxes along the highway



MORE PHOTOS FROM NEWTON:


Tino and ruth signing the wall

The excitement of the racers!  Updating top 10 racer locations

Yum broadcasting live to the people tuning into the video feed for the race

A Newton tradition: Druber's Daylight donuts: Open at 11:30 PM!

11:30 PM: The line up starts! 



No comments:

Post a Comment